About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Level 2 Maintenance - (6 Month Fixed Term) to join our Highways team to work in London.
- To assist in the efficient service delivery of the M25 DBFO Network by undertaking a wide range of hazard clearance, network maintenance and other tasks as required by Line Manager.
What you'll be doing
As a Level 2 Maintenance - (6 Month Fixed Term), you will have the following accountabilities:
- Undertake activities, as instructed, with capabilities to ensure that your area of responsibility is maintained;
- Cyclical maintenance graffiti removal;
- Carriageway repairs;
- Soft estate maintenance (e.g. grassland maintenance);
- Litter picking;
- Sign maintenance;
- Safety fence repairs;
- Boundary fence repairs;
- Civil engineering or building tasks of minor remedial nature (eg headwall repair);
- Any other duties allocated by Line Managers;
- Implement Chapter 8 compliant Traffic Management in line with CPS policies, method statements, risk assessments and industry standards;
- Provide accurate and legible written and verbal communication in the form of reports and records;
- Use mobile communication/data devices to accurately input data for record purposes to form reports and business records;
- Undertake routine vehicle checks and maintain accurate and up to date driving records in line with legislation in accordance with CPS procedures and legislation;
- Taking due care of any CPS property including but not limited to tablets, vehicles and radios;
- Raise awareness of issues which may affect the safe operation of the network and report these as observed;
- Check that Traffic Management signs, equipment and materials are carried on vehicles in line with current Maintenance checklist and are in working order, restock and record and report defects;
- Participate in Winter Service rota;
- Attend training courses;
- Live the Balfour Beatty Values;
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
Who we're looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Appropriate lifting qualification e.g. clam shell
- Working on a live motorway or All Purpose Trunk Road (APTR) network
Experience of working in a similar traffic / transport / highways / recovery role are preferred.
- Successfully pass the Security check as part of recruitment process
- Successfully pass the annual driving license check
- Successfully pass pre employment Drug & Alcohol test and further test upon request
- Successfully pass the Companys health screening programme
- Ability to understand and follow Health & Safety briefings and instructions and contribute to Zero Harm
- Physically able to deploy traffic management (eg placing and lifting cones and signage).
- Working arrangements Maintenance (shift work, need for travel etc)
- Expected to work Mon-Fri, day and night shifts on a rotating basis with 3 weeks of night shifts to 1 week of day shifts
- Day shifts are 07:00 to 16:00 with a 45 minute break, night shifts are 20:30 to 05:30
- Reasonable level of travel around M25 network and between depots
- Travel to meetings, training and works sites outside normal operational area
- Expected to participate in out of hours call out rotas e.g. Winter Maintenance
Working Arrangements ERT (shift work, need for travel etc)
- Expected to work on a 4-on, 4-off shift pattern, that rotating equally between 4 day shifts an 4 and night shifts
- Day shifts are 05:00 to 17:00 including 2x30 minute breaks, night shifts 17:00 to 05:00 including 2x30 minute breaks
Personal Attributes - Required behaviours
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work professionally with key stakeholders e.g. Highways England and Emergency Services
- A confident and professional manner
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Team player
- A clear and thorough communication style and has ability to understand and follow Health & Safety briefings and instructions and contribute to Zero Harm
- Follow the Companys Code of Conduct policy
- Willingness to accept and act upon reasonable management instruction from line manager
- Ability to operate and manage difficult working environments i.e. road traffic collisions.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall's Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.