About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe - the M25.
We are looking for a Quantity Surveyor to join us to work in South Mimms.
- To provide assistance to the Commercial/quantity surveying team in relation to commercial & contractual control and support the co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of a specific project or range of projects.
What you'll be doing
As a Quantity Surveyor you will:
- Carry out tasks as instructed by various members of the Commercial/quantity surveying team, such as measurement for valuations;
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company QHSE procedures and work instructions;
- Assist in the management and maintenance of the contract cost reporting system as directed by the line manager;
- Prepare cash flows for payments in and out;
- Prepare accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value.
Who we're looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Relevant experience in quantity surveying is required;
- Membership of a relevant professional body and/or working towards a relevant professional qualification is desirable, such as RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/InstCES;
- A valid CSCS card is required.
Individuals will require:
- Knowledge of the tendering process;
- Knowledge of the various forms of contract used across the industry;
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial management of Construction projects and the construction process in general.
Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles
- Knowledge of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties;
- Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative;
- Enthusiasm and results focus, together with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external customers.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers' Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence 'Employer Recognition Scheme' and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.